Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What the Heck?

So today, because its a rainy day and because I have nothing else better to do then read weird poetry, I got a book of Haiku. The 5-7-5 syllable poetry is rather interesting if you think about it, but then if you do think about it you're lost in the concept of how dumb it really is. Why not keep going and make five short poems into one normal poem? Some of the excerpts make sense; however there are others that even when they are read 10 times you still don't fully know what you just read. Its all so confusing. For instance...

"With a twitching nose
A dog reads a telegram
On a wet tree trunk"

I tried to think of a meaning for this and the realist in me overruled the "poetic statement." Some of the poems were legitimate and made sense, but they were mostly just thoughts. I should be rich right now if I wrote down every 5-7-5 syllable thought I had, but I would simply end up at the same conclusion. This is dumb. What 16 year old picks up a book of Haiku poetry? I'm just going to conclude to reading Jane Eyre...

No comments:

Post a Comment